Lexus of Rockhampton (ABN 90 148 491 233) aims to provide its Guests with the best possible products and services. We also want our Guests to have confidence that we afford personal information an appropriate level of privacy, consistent with the National Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth).
Lexus of Rockhampton is part of the OneLexus network of Lexus organisations in Australia (each a OneLexus organisation), comprising:
• authorised Lexus dealers in Australia;
• Toyota Motor Corporation Australia trading as “Lexus Australia” ABN 64 009 686 097 ("Lexus Australia"); and
• Toyota Finance Australia Limited trading as “Lexus Financial Services” ABN 48 002 435 181;
• Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company Australia Pty Ltd trading as “Lexus Insurance”.
Why personal information is collected by Lexus of Rockhampton
Lexus of Rockhampton (including its related bodies corporate) collects personal information from its customers and suppliers, or employees or officers of its customers and suppliers, for purposes relating to the products and services it offers. Those purposes include:
• responding to enquiries regarding vehicles and vehicle sales, products, accessories and services we offer
• receiving feedback and dealing with complaints
• processing orders and administering accounts
• providing customer and dealer support
• applications for employment
• vehicle warranties and product recalls
• marketing and promotional activities
• product development and market research
• meeting our regulatory and legal obligations.
If we are unable to collect the personal information we require, we may not be able to do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
How does Lexus of Rockhampton collect personal information?
Where possible, Lexus of Rockhampton will collect your personal information directly from you. This may take place in a number of ways, such as when you give us a written order or ask us to provide a product or service over the telephone or internet.
Our Website may also offer interactive facilities, such as customer enquiry or comment forms and competition entry forms, where personal information may be collected. In addition, we may obtain personal information from third parties such as our dealers and distributors, contractors and regulatory authorities.
How Lexus of Rockhampton and OneLexus may use and disclose your information
Lexus of Rockhampton and other OneLexus organisations may collect, hold, use and share with each other your information for a variety of purposes including to:
• provide you an integrated OneLexus guest experience, such as sending you a “Welcome Pack” after vehicle purchase, and allowing you to be known across the network regardless of which OneLexus organisation you deal with;
• supply their products and services to you (including new and used vehicles, parts, accessories, warranties, vehicle servicing, repair, financial and insurance products, roadside assist);
• provide Automatic Collision Notification (ACN), Emergency Call (SOS), Stolen Vehicle Tracking (SVT) and other connected vehicle services (“Connected Services”) which are enabled in your vehicle from time to time, if your vehicle is fitted with Connected Services functionality (for more on Connected Services, see below). Refer to your Owners’ Manual or Lexus.com.au/connectivity to confirm applicability to your vehicle;
• respond to and assist you with your enquiries;
• process payments;
• maintain records for product recall, vehicle trade-in, accounting and administration purposes;
• keep your information up to date;
• provide you with information, invitations and marketing communications about Lexus and/or OneLexus products, services and events that may be of interest to you (for more on Marketing, see below);
• obtain your feedback about products, services and events (including via surveys) and handle complaints; and
• meet regulatory and legal obligations; and
• use data in aggregated form to analyse vehicle and/or road safety, environmental and energy issues, advanced technologies and usage.
Lexus of Rockhampton and other OneLexus organisations may disclose your information to:
• their contractors or agents in Australia and overseas*, and Toyota Motor Corporation Japan (parent company of Lexus Australia and Lexus Financial Services), to fulfil any of the purposes above;
• Lexus entities overseas such as Toyota Connected Europe (in the UK) and Toyota Motors North America (in the USA) to support provision of Connected Services in Australia;
• financial institutions for payment purposes;
• other third parties so they can supply you with products or services you require; and
• government authorities, for example for vehicle registration and compulsory third party insurance purposes.
* Some of these contractors and agents are located overseas, including in Singapore, Japan, United States of America, United Kingdom and Sweden, and as a result your personal information may be disclosed overseas.
If you do not provide Lexus of Rockhampton particular information, Lexus of Rockhampton and/or other OneLexus organisations may not be able to consider your request, provide products or services to you or perform their warranty obligations.
If your vehicle is fitted with Connected Services functionality, your vehicle will collect and transmit vehicle data for Connected Services unless and until you opt out of Connected Services. Connected Services operate by using data collected from you and your Lexus connected vehicle, including your personal information and vehicle location.
If your vehicle’s Connected Services functionality is enabled, you must inform passengers and drivers of your vehicle that vehicle data is collected and used by the oneLexus network for Connected Services.
Marketing and Promotional Purposes
Lexus of Rockhampton and other OneLexus organisations (including their contractors/agents if any acting on their behalf) may send you marketing and information about Lexus products, services, special offers, promotions, surveys and events that may be of interest to you. Such marketing may include joint promotions with other promotion partners and may be sent to you using any contact details provided by you, such as post, phone, email or SMS.
Your consent to receive marketing communications from the OneLexus network in the above ways will be deemed to be ongoing if you do not opt out when you are offered the opportunity to do so, or unless and until you advise otherwise.
Access, accuracy and correction
To ensure the information the OneLexus Network holds about you is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant, we require that you notify us of the sale or transfer of your Lexus vehicle.
Website Collection of Information
Some of the information that is collected on our website is not personal information, because it does not reveal your identity. For example, we may record your server address, domain name, the date and time of your visit to this site and the pages that you viewed. This information is used by us in anonymous, aggregated form only, for statistical and web site development purposes.
However, Lexus of Rockhampton reserves its right to use or disclose this information to try to locate an individual if it reasonably believes that the individual may have engaged in any unlawful or inappropriate activity in connection with this website.
A cookie is a small data file that a web site transfers to your internet browser for identification purposes. The cookies that we use do not identify you individually. Instead, they identify your internet browser.
Most internet browsers are set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive them, you can adjust your browser to reject cookies, or to notify you when they are being used. There are also software products available that can manage cookies for you. Rejecting cookies can however limit the functionality of this website.
Third Party Collection of Information
Sometimes, we may collect your personal information from third parties, for example where:
• You respond to a Guest Satisfaction Survey conducted by Lexus Australia or a vehicle industry survey and the survey results are provided to Lexus of Rockhampton;
• We collect information such as your warranty details and service history from Lexus Australia or from another authorised Lexus dealer, to facilitate the provision of services to you; or
• We have arranged for third parties to supply you with products and services and those third parties provide us with information about the products or services that you have purchased from them (please note that we do not collect your credit or financial details from finance or insurance suppliers)
What if you don’t provide your personal information to Lexus of Rockhampton?
If Lexus of Rockhampton is unable to collect personal information from or about you, it may prove difficult to do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
When does Lexus of Rockhampton disclose personal information to third parties?
In providing our Guests with products or services, we may disclose personal information to third parties. In particular, your personal information may be disclosed to Lexus Australia, Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota’s Japanese parent company) and their related bodies corporate. Information such as warranty details and service history may also be disclosed to other authorised Lexus dealers, to help them better serve your needs.
Other third parties with whom we may share your personal information include, where appropriate:
• Finance, insurance, extended warranty and roadside assistance providers (where you have requested that they supply products and services to you);
• Providers (including Lexus of Rockhampton sub-contractors) of outsourced vehicle repair and maintenance services (such as panel beaters and windscreen repairers) (these people may contact you directly for this purpose);
• Valuers (to assess the value of your vehicle) and vehicle registries (to check whether a trade in vehicle is encumbered);
• Government authorities (for example for vehicle registration and compulsory third party (bodily injury) insurance or as required under financial transactions reporting or anti-money laundering legislation) police, local council authorities or our insurers if a test drive or hire vehicle is involved in any parking or traffic infringements or is damaged whilst in your possession;
• Financial institutions for payment processing referees, referrals or guarantors whose details you have provided to us;
• Lexus of Rockhampton’s contracted service providers (Contracted Service Providers), including, without limitation:
o Website designers and information technology service providers;
o Marketing and communications agencies;
o Call centres and call training centres;
o Mailing houses, freight and courier services;
o Printers and distributors of direct marketing material; and
o External business advisors (such as auditors, lawyers and debt collectors).
In the case of Contracted Service Providers, we may disclose personal information to the Contracted Service Provider and the Contracted Service Provider may in turn provide us with personal information collected from you in the course of providing the relevant products or services. We take steps to help ensure that our Contracted Service Providers comply with the National Privacy Principals when they collect and handle your personal information.
We may also disclose personal information to third parties where required or authorised by or under law to do so with your consent (which may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct).
We will not send you any commercial electronic messages such as SMS or email without your consent. Any commercial electronic message that we send will identify Lexus of Rockhampton as the sender and will incorporate our contact details. The message will also provide an unsubscribe facility. If you do not wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please use the unsubscribe facility or contact the Lexus of Rockhampton Guest Experience Department.
Ensuring personal information is up-to-date
We rely on the personal information we hold in conducting our business. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate complete and up-to-date.
Security of personal information
The security of information is important to Lexus of Rockhampton and we take precautions to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Some of the ways we protect personal information include:
• External and internal premises security;
• Restricted access to personal information to staff who need it to perform their day to day functions;
• Conducting training to ensure that staff are aware that they must only access, use and disclose personal information for appropriate purposes;
• Requiring staff who have access to personal information to agree to protect the privacy of that information;
• Maintaining technology products to prevent unauthorised computer access, including identifiers and passwords; and
• Maintaining physical security over paper records
How long does Lexus of Rockhampton keep personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Use of Commonwealth government identifiers
We will not use Commonwealth government identifiers (Identifiers) (such as Medicare numbers) as our own identifier of individuals. We will only use or disclose Identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If Lexus of Rockhampton transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to transborder data flows. Please note that some of the servers on which Lexus Australia’s Guest information is held are located overseas and owned by Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota Australia’s Japanese parent company). As a result, personal information collected and held by Lexus Australia may be transferred overseas (in particular, Japan) to be held on these servers.
Access to your personal information
Please contact the Lexus of Rockhampton Guest Experience Department if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information. Depending on the amount of information requested, Lexus of Rockhampton may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Access to personal information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where the information relates to anticipated legal proceedings or the request for access is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny or restrict your access, we will explain why. Similarly, in some limited circumstances we may not make requested corrections to personal information, in which case we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
Job applicants and employees
Any personal information provided to Lexus of Rockhampton in connection with job applications may be used to consider the applicant for current and future employment and may be disclosed to our third-party advisors to assist us in the selection and recruitment process.
If your application for employment is successful, Lexus of Rockhampton will rely on the exemption in the Privacy Act relating to employee records where applicable.
If you have any concerns about the way your personal information is managed by Lexus of Rockhampton, or believe that a breach of your privacy has occurred, please let us know by contacting the Lexus of Rockhampton Guest Experience Department. We will respond to your concerns as soon as possible.
Contact details and additional information
If you would like more information about Lexus of Rockhampton’s approach to privacy, or if you wish to contact us regarding the information set out in this policy, please contact us:
Lexus of Rockhampton’s Guest Experience Department
127 Denison Street, Rockhampton Qld 4700
Ph: 1300 205 533
Fax: (07) 4924 5201
Changes to this policy
We may amend this policy from time to time at our discretion. Amended versions will be posted on our website at http://www.lexusrockhampton.com.au and will be available from Lexus of Rockhampton’s Guest Experience Department.